Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pinterest Weekend Installment One: Backpacks


Every sleepover is planned for crafting purposes, right? Well if they're not they should be. My fabulous friend, Gabby, and I planned a Pinterest Party and I will give it to you in three posts. Here you have Installment One: The Backpacks. 
 First we had to go shopping. I mean seriously, even if we had everything we needed we would have gone shopping...but whatever. This is the stash we came back with, and it only cost us about $35! If that sounds like a lot to you, you can think about it this way: the towels cost us $5 each and we needed four, so that's 20 right there. The glow sticks, silverware, fabric, and books added together bumped it up to $35, so it was basically a steal.
 I had seen a pin on how to make this backpack with only one yard of fabric. Is this for real?? Yes, my friends, it is. And it's totally not hard either! 
 This is what we looked like at around 6ish when we started. Look how happy and optimistic we are!
 We printed the pattern (it was so easy to follow!) and started cutting out the pieces. Gabby's fabric was only two dollars at a thrift store and she had way more than she needed! I bought a fitted sheet from a different thrift store for $1.75 and had extra as well! After cutting everything out we started sewing it together. I don't have any during pictures, so you'll have to go to the original site, but her directions are super easy to follow! It was going to be great because my mom has two sewing machines so Gabby and I could sew at the same time, but two seconds into sewing I broke one of them and my parents were gone for the evening so we had to make due with one... I ended up doing most of the sewing because Gabby is a novice sewer and didn't want to mess anything up. Needless to say, with only one machine we weren't done with the backpacks until around 4am. But we did take about a one hour break in the middle, and the second backpack went much faster than the first one because I didn't have to stop and read the directions the whole time. I have to say, this is my new favorite bag. It is super cute, the perfect size, and has loads of memories attached!
 At 4am, still smiling! 
 Little miss sassy with her finished backpack :)




Check back tomorrow for installment two, silverware jewelry! 
post signature

8 comments:

  1. Little Miss Sassy loves it :) I used mine for church today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Did you get any compliments?

      Delete
  2. VERY cute!! Love them BOTH!!
    kweenbee_612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually just made another one for a friend of mine because they're SO EASY! I might be a little addicted to this pattern... ;)

      Delete
  3. That should so be a youth girls project!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please leave a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...