Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Cooking Pumpkin

 I feel like such an accomplished cook! I have officially cooked a whole pumpkin and pureed it into homemade "canned" pumpkin puree! And let me tell you, it's so much tastier than store bought. And it's actually way easier than it sounds! And it's cheaper! We got this pumpkin for $4, and I got over 8 cups of pumpkin puree. One 16 oz can at the store is usually about $1.50. Which would be $0.75 per cup. Cooking your own is $0.50 per cup. And when you love pumpkin as much as I do, you tend to use a lot, and therefore spend a lot... 
 Anyway, back to cooking :) It's pretty simple. Wash your pumpkin and cut it in half. Scoop the seeds out (make sure to save them for roasting! A recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds is coming soon!). My friends from Columbia will be happy to know that I conquered my fear of pumpkin guts and scooped all the seeds out by myself!


 Put your pumpkin halves face down on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for at least an hour. Test it with a knife and when it is soft you can take it out. Let it cool and scoop the flesh out of the shell.



 It'll be pretty thick and stringy, so I put mine through the blender to make it more pureed. 
 Worked like a charm! It's so delicious! Stay tuned for pumpkin recipes!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. HI, IT seems so delicious, but unfortunately i could tast it in my place, cause i am from INDIA.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please leave a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...