Monday, March 11, 2013

Egg and Mini Muffins

I've decided to expand what I use my silicone baking cups for so that I can use them more often, so this past Sunday I made (slightly modified) eggs napoleon for breakfast! Seriously, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, so anytime I can make something good for breakfast, I'm all over it. Anyways, to make these you were supposed to use tater tots, but I didn't have any so I cut some left over fries into small pieces and put those on the bottom instead. Then you were supposed to cook onion, butter, jalapenos, and garlic in a skillet, but I was in a hurry so I sprinkled garlic, diced onion, melted butter, and chili powder (for the kick) on top of the fries. After that I sprinkled mozzarella cheese (which was actually called for in the recipe) on top. The recipe then called for a whole egg in each muffin, but we didn't have enough so I whisked them all together and divided them equally among the cups. I then baked them at 350 for about 10 minutes. They were pretty good! We found that if dipped in salsa they were better, though. If I make them again I will add the spices to the egg and add more spice. They were a little bland, but the salsa definitely made them better!

 On to the mini muffins! So my mom's class at PWOC (a Bible Study we attend) was in charge of bringing mini muffins for next week's study. Of course I butted in and insisted on making them with (or more like for) her, because I'm "nice" like that.. ;) Anyway, it turns out that her group of ladies was getting together to make them all at the same time, so I went along to help and it was super fun!
 We made four different kinds (recipes below): Blueberry Chocolate Chip, Coffee Cake, Sugared Mango (found on Pinterest, I'm addicted), and Orange Cranberry.
Coffee Cake 
Blueberry Chocolate Chip 
Orange Cranberry

Sugared Mango
Our verdict was that the Sugared Mango and the Coffee Cake were the best flavors, but they were all delicious!

Sugared Mango Muffins
1 3/4 C Flour
1/2 t Salt
1 t Baking Powder
6 T Room Temperature Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 t Vanilla
1/2 C Sour Cream
1 1/2 C Chopped Mango (1-2 Mangoes if you are using fresh)
Sugar for topping

Mix together dry ingredients and wet ingredients in different bowls. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Fold in mangoes. Spoon into muffin tins and bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes for full size muffins and 15 for mini muffins. 

Coffee Cake Muffins
1 1/2 C Flour
1/2 C Sugar
1 1/4 t Baking Powder
1/2 t Cinnamon
1/4 t Ginger
1/4 t Baking Soda
1/4 t Salt
1/4 C Butter
1 Egg
1/2 C Buttermilk or Sour Milk

Mix together dry and wet ingredients in different bowls. Combine the dry and wet ingredients. Spoon into muffin tins and top with topping. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes for full size muffins and 10-12 minutes for mini muffins.

Topping
3 T Flour
3 T Brown Sugar
1/4 t Cinnamon
2 T Butter
3 T Chopped Walnuts or Pecans (optional)

Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins and Orange Cranberry Muffins
These two have the same basic muffin recipe with different fillings.
1 3/4 C Flour
1/3 C Sugar
2 t Baking Powder
1/4 t Salt
1 Egg
3/4 C Milk
1/4 C Cooking Oil

Mix together dry and wet ingredients in different bowls. Combine dry and wet ingredients. Fold in fillings (below). Spoon into muffin tins and bake at 400 for 18 minutes for full muffins and 12-15 minutes for mini muffins.

Blueberry Chocolate Chip filling: 1/4 C each of frozen blueberries and chocolate chips
Orange Cranberry filling: an extra 1/4 t Salt. 1/4 C Chopped Dried Cranberries, 1-2 t Orange Zest, the juice of 1/2 an orange (or about 3 T orange juice. Basically to taste)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please leave a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...